When I'm reading my Bible, I often find it helpful to mark certain passages because they seem especially important, but I've never had any method for deciding which ones to mark. A friend showed me this technique several months ago and I couldn't find any place where it's explained online (if you know of one, please post it in the comments!), so here it is. This is the best method I've found for highlighting important verses to find them later. I highlight using five colors; other variations of the technique exist using four, or six, or seven. Here's the list, with a few examples:
- Sins to avoid (Yellow) - I Samuel 13:13, Matthew 5:19, I Corinthians 12:21
- Promises from God (Green) - I Samuel 12:22, Matthew 5:19, Philippians 3:20-21
- Examples to follow (Orange) - I Samuel 16:18, Matthew 14:28, I Timothy 3:2-3
- Commands from God (Blue) - I Samuel 12:20, Matthew 10:16, II Timothy 2:1-2
- Knowledge to understand (Brown) - I Samuel 15:22, Psalm 119:1-2, I John 5:11-12
What do you highlight? Or do you not highlight anything?