Just a quick blurb of good reading today in honor of Cyber Securityhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif Awareness month (via the Official Google Blog)….
- First, update all your software. Seriously. Run updates on everything.
- If you're using IE, stop right now and go get a better browser. I use Firefox (since Chrome Just Doesn't Work™ on Fedora yet… actually, I just found this article that says it does, so I'll be trying this), and Mozilla has a pretty nifty little utility to make sure your plugins are updated as well.
- Mac users, ya'll aren't immune. (No, I don't know what you should do about it, I just wanted to make sure you knew.)
- And neither are us Linux geeks. If you're a “sloppy Linux admin,” you're leaving yourself (and your people) at risk.
- If you really want to be secure, here's a set of guides from the NSA for securing a lot of common operating systems.
- Last thing - remember, there are other ways of having your security compromised that don't involve having your computer hacked. People can find out a lot from Facebook.